ProcessOne SiteCustomer Helpdesk and FeedbackFollow us on Twitter

Strange status behaviour in offline push mode?
Posted: 28 September 2010 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-28

I have push enabled, status in push mode set to Online, offline push enabled. When I quit the application my status remains Online, as seen by a buddy using the Psi client. (This is what I expected.) However, if the buddy sends me a message my status changes immediately to Offline, only changing back to Online whern I start the application. (I expected my status to remain as Online.) Is this normal behaviour? And if so, why? Thanks.

Posted: 17 November 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-11-17

Hi Mickael,

Would you care replying to the post above? I have the very same problem with status being changed to off-line wherever I close the application. It only happens when I want the status to be “online”, when in cofing I set it to busy, or whatever else it gets reflected when the app goes into push mode. What the hell with online (which is just what I need, don’t care about the other states).

That’s a bit annoying.

Another question - why can’t the app just work in the background and receive the pings unless I quit it explicitly from within IOS?

Also, what the “offline push” option means? In any case it doesn’t seem to be making any difference, only it’s not explained anywhere.

Thanks,

M.

Posted: 18 November 2010 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2006-11-12

Hello,

We need more details:
- What server and domain are you using ?
- Which version of OneTeam are you using ?
- Do you see that even without push ?
- Did you had a look at the log in setting / degug options ? Could you send us the information there ?

To reply your questions:
- Background application are to finish tasks. By design they are limited to 10 minutes max. If you want to stay online more than 10 minutes after you close an app, you have to use push.
- Offline push is for server supporting that module (ejabberd + IMPush module). That allows to receive message while you are not online.

If we can get more information on the server you are using, we can get a glue about why he disconnect you.

Thank you!

Posted: 18 November 2010 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

It is likely that OneTeam send show available and that your presence is a bit picky on the XMPP specification and enforce this by disconnecting you:

See: http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html

This will be solved in the next release of OneTeam.
The problem is tracked there: https://support.process-one.net/browse/OTIP-221

The workaround waiting for the new version is what you have found: Avoid the available presence in push mode and select another advertised presence.

Thank you for the report !

Posted: 18 November 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-17

Hi there,

So I guess the app can’t work in the background as it’s not one of those few processes that are allowed by Apple to actually multitask, right? That would really be what I want. But I guess I would have to speak to Steve Jobs about it…

Anyways, push should do the trick, however cumbersome and less secure this workaround would be, if only it worked properly. It seems that I’m not really disconnected only my status is off-line, cause folks actually can ping me, which is even more mysterious since our server doesn’t allow status ‘invisible’. I gave a read to your second link and it may be that this is somehow related to the status thingy, as when I indicate in the config that I want to be “Away” when the app goes in background I actually stay online, only my status is “Idle” (again, mysteriously).

Any chance the new version would solve my problems? And if so - when?

I would rather not disclose my server info publicly as it’s a corporate server. Still your app was reviewed by our IT guys and was approved as good and secure, and this company pretty much sets the standards for what is regarded as good and secure in the networking world, so I hope you’ll live up to these expectations. : )

Cheers,

M.

Posted: 20 November 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

If the problem is that you are disconnected when you use the status available in push mode, yes, it will be solved in the next version.
Do you have other problem than that ?

Posted: 26 November 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-17
Mickaël Rémond - 20 November 2010 02:20 PM

If the problem is that you are disconnected when you use the status available in push mode, yes, it will be solved in the next version.
Do you have other problem than that ?

Actually I got disconnected recently when I set the status to Busy and minimised the application but it may be just me setting push activity window too short, I’m not sure, would have to check it again. The thing I would care most about is being able to be in status Available when in push mode. And just roughly - when you would be releasing the new version with these fixes?

Thanks for answers and cheers!

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

We will fix the “available” status problem, of course.
I think for the other case, it might be expiration of the push time.

For the new release date, we expect it early next year.

Posted: 11 January 2011 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-17
Mickaël Rémond - 27 November 2010 11:38 AM

We will fix the “available” status problem, of course.
I think for the other case, it might be expiration of the push time.
For the new release date, we expect it early next year.

Hi Mickaël,

Any news on the above? As described, Away and Busy modes work fine (it was push expiration setting most probably), while On-line mode kicks me out of the server. I really would like to be visible as on-line. When you will be posting a fix for this?

PS. I could send you log details for this, but I guess it’s a generic problem you’re aware of, and nothing particular to my corporate XMPP server.

Many thanks and regards,

M.

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-12

Yes, this is identified and will be fixed in next version.

Posted: 11 January 2011 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-17

Cool! And the next version will be released when?  : )