ProcessOne SiteCustomer Helpdesk and FeedbackFollow us on Twitter

Install exmpp without sudo
Posted: 29 June 2011 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-29

Hi

I am new to this forum and I’ve just started doing my bachelor thesis at Uppsala University. My thesis is the creation of a serverless chat client (already been done yes, but it’s just a bachelor thesis, it’s not required it’s something new).

I would like to use exmpp, but the problem I’m having at the moment is that I want to use it on the Unix systems located at my school (Solaris machines) where I don’t have sudo rights. I can use make, autoreconf (as far as I could tell at least). I am not sure if they have expat installed or not, but I have asked them about this today so we’ll see about that. So is this possible or should I just give up using exmpp for this project (It’s not a requirement, I just wanted to use it to get some of the chat stuff for “free”, so I can focus on the “finding people” problem)?

Posted: 13 December 2011 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-04

Hi,

expat is probably already installed, as it is a very common library,  but maybe the development (header) files for it aren’t installed by default and in that case you will need your sysadmin to install it.

You can build exmpp as a normal user,  you can use the —prefix directive to ./configure to install it under any directory you want.  Then, when using it,  you will need to instruct erlang about the location of this library (exmpp) as it won’t be on the default erlang install directory (that you don’t have rights to write to)

hope it helps,  and good luck with your thesis!

Posted: 04 May 2013 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-04

I am new here too