ProcessOne SiteCustomer Helpdesk and FeedbackFollow us on Twitter

Increased latency to jabber.ccc.de
Posted: 14 January 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-14

Hi,

I experience a delay of several seconds when receiving presence stanzas from jabber.ccc.de after going online, the same with message receipts, pings etc. after not communicating for some time. I’ve never experienced this “problem” when connecting from other servers to jabber.ccc.de.

While it’s not disastrous, I still find it somehow irritating.

Thanks for this service,
quarso

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-06-04

Hi,

the initial delay is because of DNS + connection dialback between the two servers.  Both servers (yours and jabber.cc.de) needs to authenticate one with the other before interchange messages.  It is normal for this initial handshake to take a few seconds (around 2 in my testing), but once completed, messages flows without delays (until there is no usage on the connection for some time, as you said,  as that causes the connection between the servers to be discarded and need to be reestablished again when needed).

Probably you didn’t notice this before when connecting from other servers because some others users on those servers might been contacting jabber.cc.de too,  and so that particular channel was keep active most of the time.